Welcome to my creative outlet

I believe that every person needs some form of creative outlet. This is mine, my personal recipe's, small projects and ramblings from life's lessons.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Having a heart like a Child

Being a mother constantly teaches me new lessons. Today while driving my kindergartner to school she started a conversation that had me beaming as a mother and also a little verklempt. I know, it's not food, it's not a craft but today more than any other day I felt like a life lesson was laid on my heart and it was important to share. =D

Nadine: Mommy, I need to learn Spanish.

Me: Well, you're doing a good job already. You know your colors and some numbers. If you want to be able to speak Spanish we can work harder on it together and mommy will learn with you.

Nadine: But Mommy, I need to know now.

Me: Why do you need to know now?

Nadine: [in tears] But Isis speaks English and her mommy talks in Spanish, it makes me sad when she goes home and can't talk to her mommy like I do. I need to talk in Spanish to help Isis talk to her mommy.

Me: oh sweety that very kind of you, but if Isis mommy speaks Spanish then Isis probably speaks it too.

Nadine: I don't think so, and it makes me sad. Isis and I can learn together right Mommy?

Me: You know what, why don't you ask Isis today in class if she speaks English and Spanish. If she only speaks English then we will find a way to help. I think you'll feel better after you talk to Isis today in class.

Nadine: Ok. I will talk to Isis before anyone else.


.... 2 hours and 35 minutes later

Nadine: Mommy you're right! Isis said God made it so she learned English and Spanish when she learned to talk like a baby... and Isis is going to teach me Spanish so I can come over and stay the night and talk to her mommy and daddy. I hope God gives me Spanish talk like he did Isis.


I know some of the conversation, since it is after all with a 5 year old, is comical. The center of the conversation is beautiful. Nadine heard at some point Isis said that her mom speaks Spanish and assumed that since her friend only spoke English. It broke her heart, she was in full tears this morning thinking of her new friend not being able to have a relationship like she and I have. She saw a friend who she thought was in need and was taking a leap to help her in any way she could.

I think being an adult we learn to harden our hearts, and have thick skin in an effort to not get broken and beaten by the rest of the world. The danger of constantly having a guard up is never really fully loving and embracing one another and having compassion for people truly in need. We become observers instead of taking action and having grace towards people in general not just those we feel safe with.

Mathew 18:3 "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

1 comment:

  1. This made me tear up! Love that girl... Love, auntie chels

    ReplyDelete