Welcome to my creative outlet

I believe that every person needs some form of creative outlet. This is mine, my personal recipe's, small projects and ramblings from life's lessons.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Homemade Apple Sauce


I love applesauce! It's best when freshly made, and oh so easy. Save yourself some money and make your own batch. You can either can them or just refrigerate and eat. We actually went through our jars so quickly that I'm not sure the whole canning process was necessary ;)

What you'll need:


3lbs of apples


Cinnamon and brown sugar to taste.


Canning jars with quick seal lids


large pot to fully submerge the jars


Canning tongs to remove the jars from the boiling water

Let's get started!

Peel, core and quarter apples.

You will need 3 to 3-1/2 pounds per quart of applesauce.

Place in large saucepot.

Cook apples with just enough water so they don't stick.


Cook over medium heat until soft.

Puree in food processor or food mill until smooth (I like my applesauce a little chunky so I used a masher 



and mashed by hand)

Return to pan and bring to a boil.

You may add sugar if desired.


Taste to see how sweet the apples are.

You can also add cinnamon


Keep applesauce boiling and ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.



Cap off with the quick seal lids and place on wired rack to cool. When the lids make a popping sound they 


have properly sealed! so easy! and delicious. 



Canning is always fun to do with a friend. This one goes by so fast when you have two or more sets of hands pealing the apples.

Later I will post an awesome pork chop recipe that uses our homemade applesauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment