Welcome to my creative outlet

I believe that every person needs some form of creative outlet. This is mine, my personal recipe's, small projects and ramblings from life's lessons.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mojitos! Cheers!


During the long rainy fall and blustery winter that Oregon serves up for about 5 months straight I like to cheer myself up with a summery drink! I crank up the heat, turn on ALL the lights in the house and make some fresh mojitos to go along with our dinner. It's a great pick me up to trick your body for a couple minutes into feeling festive instead of cold and damp. Keep in mind, I am not in any way making traditional mojitos these are my version of what I got on a cruise in Mexico =D

Here's what you need:
Fresh mint (I grow ours but you can also find it in your produce aisle with the herbs)
Limejuice (unsweetened)
Lime
Rum
Brown sugar
Club soda
Ice


First I "muddle" the brown sugar and mint, this for me is a fancy term for using the end of my ice cream scoop in a bowl to squish up the mint leafs with sugar releasing all their yummy oils and flavor. Next I add 2 shots of rum (I like to use Captain Morgan's Private Stock spiced rum) swish it around to pick up all the sugar and mint then dump it into a cocktail shaker (you can stir vigorously too) add a handful of ice and top off with 2 shots of lime juice. Shake until it's nice and chilled and equally mixed. Then pour into your serving glass, top off with a little bit of club soda and a lime wedge or mint leaf to garnish.

For the brown sugar I use 2 tbs to a shot of rum, but we like our drinks a little on the sweeter side =)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment